Sunday, May 4, 2008

Budapest, Hungary- Day 8

05/01/2008

Today was a free day. It was also a holiday, May Day. More importantly, it was Beth's birthday (Happy Birthday Beth, wish I could be there). The streets were noticeable less crowed and there were far fewer people on the Metro. The weather was great all day and it made perfect conditions for us to go explore the city. After breakfast at the hotel, we headed to the Castle District on the Buda side (west side) of Budapest. It was quite a hike up to get to the Liberation Park overlooking the city, but well worth it. It was the best view point overlooking the city. We picked up a few additional souvenirs at the top of the hill then headed back down toward the famous Buda Castle. After exploring the Buda Castle, we crossed the beautiful Chain bridge back on the Pest side (east side) of the city and ate at McDonald's.

This was the last full day of the MBA trip. We ended it with a group dinner at the hotel. During the dinner, we had the chance to share our thoughts and experiences. I took full advantage to roast the "Godfather" (aka Joe Kalodimos, Kalidomos Machinos). I discovered that I was able to do an impression of him early on in the trip. He provided me plenty of material throughout the trip for me to cover. He was side by side with Jerry and Aric (our professors) for the entire trip, hence the nickname the Godfather. I have never met a more proud Greek personality in my life- thanks for being a good sport about it Joe.

This was a once in a life time trip that I will never forget. I made a lot of memories, I made a lot of good friends, and I gained a greater appreciation for how we do business in the USA. In addition, I became strongly aware that the US can no longer continue down its path of government overspending and corporate greed if we intend to remain a viable global economy. I'd like to thank Aric and Jerry for their hard work in planning and coordinating this trip, it has been the highlight of my MBA experience.

1 comment:

Jottings By Jess said...

Hey Spence! Your blog rocks!!! You put mine to shame!